Tuesday 30 March 2010

Shadow Theory

Shadow Theory



Here is a photo I recently took of some batteries. There was no particular purpose or pre-conception behind the pic, I was just. In fact there was, I just remembered.

This photo is from Lisa Congdon, whom throughout the year of 2010 is photographing all of her junk. Basically a photo a day project. Her blog can be found here.




The first time I saw this photo (on the Human Resources blog), I was gripped at how such a simple image can make such a big impact. I love it. I don't even really know why. So I was determined to try it myself, and as usual got distracted with lighting. I took some simple shots like the bobbin one with a large soft light source, then played about using a few bare strobes to create interesting patterns in the shadows. I played about until I found something I liked and I am pleased with the result. The reason I used batteries as a subject is that I wanted to convey a deep, meaningful message about our attitude towards disposible energy and the need to find a renewable... Only joking, I just had a bucket load of batteries to hand at the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment