Monday 26 October 2009

Royal Armouries

Our field trip to the Royal Armouries museum on Friday was pretty good. I arrived 15 minutes late, which meant that in a real-life scenario, I would have lost the client, according to tony, so I must add that to a list of areas to improve.

I haven’t properly gone through all of the photos yet, but I hope that I got the 10 good ones that I needed. When I got there I found it quite hard to get images that straight away stood out to me as being exceptional so I’m a bit worried. Some of the reasons for this: (1) Equipment – The widest lens I own is a 20-40mm soon the cropped sensor of a 40D, that’s equivalent to 32-64mm, which I don’t think is quite wide enough for some of the architectural shots I was trying to get. (2) Light – The sun was always behind the building which means that the staircase part (the best bit) was difficult to photograph without a burnt-out sky. I bracketed the photos that I took of this bit so that I could create a HDR later if I wanted to. (3) Time of day – we were told to arrive at 10am, but in my opinion, there was better light later on in the afternoon. If I were to do this again, I’d find out about the position of the light in relation to the building and come in time for the best light. I ended up staying from 10-6 and only shot for a few hours of this. Having said that, so much time enabled me to do whatever I wanted without any pressure and freed me up to get some shots that I otherwise may not have got.

Another lesson that I learnt from this trip is that I need to concentrate on managing my time properly. For example, when I arrived I started taking pictures of what I thought was the most interesting first, however I later realised that I should have thought it through a little more deeply first. It would have been better to take pics of the other side of the building first as the sun would have been behind me and I could’ve correctly exposed the building without burning out the sky. By the time I got round to the back, there was no sun left. I am glad that I stayed behind until 6 as when the light dropped, I managed to get some pretty sweet photos with the docks in the foreground.

Here are a few of my favourite images that I took:
Royal Armouries Panorama

Royal Armouries

Royal Armouries
(Click on the photos for a better view)

Please tell me what you think..

No comments:

Post a Comment