Sunday 15 November 2009

Second Year Dancers

On Thursday (12th Nov) I had a shoot with the second year dancers for the second Photographic Practice module. We met in the photography room, then went out to do some location shots, follwed my studio shots and then shots in the dance studio. I did not really ennjoy the shoot due to a couple of reasons. I think the main reason was that it was very hard to communicate ideas between myself and the dancers. I know that I am generally very quiet and my communication skills aren't the best in the world, but I like to think that I tried my best, and involved the dancers in the creative process as much as possible, though they appeared to not have an opinion on anything.

I learnt a few important lessons from this shoot:
(a)I should always enter a shoot with a concept/shotlist already planned out in my head, in case the subject chooses not to input anything into the process.
(b)I should not talk negatively about my subjects/clients behind their back like this as I now realise how 'bitchy' and unprofessional it sounds. It may cause hurt feelings or bad press.
(c)It is probabily a much better idea to shoot tethered so both myself and the subject can see the results as they happen, thus reducing the chance that all of the shots in the photo studio have a stuck-out tongue.
(d)I should never trust any of the uni computers not to lose my work. This happened. Although luckily I had backups of all the files on my laptop, I lost my entire lightroom catalog and now have to re-edit all the photos which has cost me 4/5hours.

I'm pleased that I returned from the shoot with a few decent shots, although not nearly as many as I would have liked. Here are a few, please tell me what you think and be critical with the feedback:

1stYrDancers-2423 1stYrDancers-2139
1stYrDancers-2076 1stYrDancers-1997

No comments:

Post a Comment