Thursday 10 December 2009

Product Shot

The Brief for our product shots was to choose an item of interest and a background to shoot it on. We had to shoot the product with only one light (though reflectors were allowed), and we had to produce five shots which varied in some way or another eg. different lighting positions, different camera angles etc.

The item I chose was a bar of Cadbury's Caramel, and for the background I chose a deep purple silky piece of material. I lit with a very large softbox directly above to provide a soft and even light and used reflectors at the sides to further soften the shadows. I started out by shooting from a fairly standard shooting angle, straight on, to try and achieve the kind of shot that may be found on adverts, but then I tried a bit of variation and shot from some more unconventional angles to achieve some more interesting shots, even if not particularly of commercial value. I also experimented with opening the product to obtain images of the chocolate within. The problem with this however was that I bit into the chocolate, to expose the caramel, when it probabily would have been a better idea to cut it with a knife as it just looked a bit messy.

As one of the first briefs that I was given this year, I am pleased with the results achieved, considering my limited knowledge of studio lighting at the time. I do feel I could do better if I did it again now.

No comments:

Post a Comment